Full dentures, also known as complete dentures are removable appliances that are worn by people who are missing all their natural teeth in either the upper jaw (maxilla) or lower jaw (mandible), they replace the natural teeth and provide support for the cheeks and lips and restore function.
Our denture treatment is tailored for each patients individual needs.
We can work together with the patient to assist them achieve a look that is both aesthetically pleasing and functional.
The choices a patient may make during treatment include the shade (colour), the mould (shape) and the position of the teeth in the denture (as long as function of the denture is not compromised) .
How long will it take?
- Initial consultation and oral examination to determine the best possible treatment, quotation is also provided at this appointment. Primary impressions can be taken at this appointment.
- Custom trays are fabricated from the primary impressions, and secondary impressions are taken.
- Registration of Maxillary/Mandibular Relationship (MMR) is taken (how the patient bites together), colour of the teeth is determined and their Mould (Shape).
- Try-in in wax, patient will have a physical representation of a complete dentures but instead of pink acrylic (hard plastic) it will be in pink wax. Any adjustments to the mould, bite or colour is noted at this appointment. If required a fifth appointment is facilitated to have these changes done. When the Dental Prosthetist is satisfied of function of the dentures, patient is given a mirror, and subsequently sign an agreement that the dentures will not be remade on aesthetic grounds.
- Can be another try-in appointment to facilitate changes noted in the previous appointment. Also this can be an issue appointment (fitting of the dentures). Patient is given instructions on what to expect in the coming weeks after receiving new dentures, hygiene and cleaning instructions for their new dentures.
- Is usually reserved for any adjustments (sore spots) or other possible difficulties that the patient may experience.
Most treatments last approximately six appointments, but its not unusual to have one or two extra, every patient is different and we are here to accommodate them.